Our School - Child Safety
At St Thomas the Apostle Catholic Primary School, child protection is very important to us and we acknowledge and understand that child safety is the responsibility of every person and is an integral aspect of student wellbeing. We aim to work collaboratively with parents, students and other community members to ensure a safe school environment.
Our commitment to the protection of students is based in our belief that each person is made in the image of God and our ethos is to provide a safe and supportive environment. All students have the right to expect that the school will always act to protect them from any kind of harm.
We work under the Diocese of Sale Catholic Education Limited guidelines and use their policies to guide the procedures that are implemented in our school. Please click on the links below to view each of the policies that we are guided by to ensure child safety at St Thomas the Apostle Catholic Primary School.
St Thomas the Apostle Catholic Primary School is committed to implementing and embedding the Child Safe Standards and requirements of Ministerial Order No. 1359:
- Child Safe Standard 1 – Establish a culturally safe environment in which the diverse and unique identities and experiences of Aboriginal children and young people are respected and valued
- Child Safe Standard 2 – Child safety and wellbeing is embedded in organisational leadership, governance and culture
- Child Safe Standard 3 – Children and young people are empowered about their rights, participate in decisions affecting them and are taken seriously
- Child Safe Standard 4 – Families and communities are informed, and involved in promoting child safety and wellbeing
- Child Safe Standard 5 – Equity is upheld and diverse needs respected in policy and practice
- Child Safe Standard 6 – People working with children and young people are suitable and supported to reflect child safety and wellbeing values in practice
- Child Safe Standard 7 – Processes for complaints and concerns are child focused
- Child Safe Standard 8 – Staff and volunteers are equipped with the knowledge, skills and awareness to keep children and young people safe through ongoing education and training
- Child Safe Standard 9 – Physical and online environments promote safety and wellbeing while minimising the opportunity for children and young people to be harmed
- Child Safe Standard 10 – Implementation of the Child Safe Standards is regularly reviewed and improved
- Child Safe Standard 11 – Policies and procedures document how the organisation is safe for children and young people
If you have any concerns or questions regarding child safety please contact our Child Safe Champions:-
Peta Overbury - Deputy Principal
Phone: 5998 9293 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jen Gulavin - Deputy Principal
Phone: 5998 9293 or Email: email@example.com